Rave Radio: Offline (0/0)
Email: Password:
News (Media Awareness Project) - UK: Web: Drug Adviser Quits Over Policy Switch
Title:UK: Web: Drug Adviser Quits Over Policy Switch
Published On:2002-07-10
Source:BBC News (UK Web)
Fetched On:2008-01-23 00:16:35
DRUG ADVISER QUITS OVER POLICY SWITCH

The government's former "drugs czar" Keith Hellawell has quit his role as a
government adviser over plans to reclassify cannabis as a less dangerous drug.

Mr Hellawell launched a stinging attack on the proposals, which he claims
will damage communities and lead to more drug use.

Home Secretary David Blunkett will announce the downgrading of the drug
from Class B to Class C later on Wednesday, to free-up police resources to
fight hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine.

The home office insists Mr Hellawell supported the move when it was first
floated last year.

Resignation

But Mr Hellawell says he had made his reservations known to Mr Blunkett at
a meeting last autumn.

He insisted he was not motivated by spite in speaking out, despite being
downgraded from his UKP106,000-a-year role as the government's drugs czar.

"I am saying these things because I care. I care about children and I care
about their families," he told BBC News 24.

"It (re-classification) is giving the wrong messages to parents and children.

"It creates a fog. It creates a mire where people don't know which way to go.

"How on earth can you justify messages which appear to soften the approach?"

'Spin' attacked

Mr Hellawell was drafted in by Labour four years ago to take charge of the
so-called war on drugs.

But he was sidelined by the government last October and given the reduced
role of part-time adviser on international issues.

The former police chief said he had now quit that role as well.

"I have resigned over this issue (cannabis) and over the issue of spin," he
told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

He said he had written to Mr Blunkett to inform him of the reasons his
resignation, but had so far had no response.

Government denial

Downing Street said it was "bemused" by Mr Hellawell's decision to announce
his resignation now.

It said the former drugs czar had been briefed about the likely change of
policy on cannabis last year and indicated his full support.

In three subsequent meetings with the drugs minister Bob Ainsworth he had
not expressed any concern, the prime minister's official spokesman said.

Mr Hellawell resigned last month, but at his request the news was not made
public.

The spokesman said Prime Minister Tony Blair was grateful for the "good
job" Mr Hellawell had done during Labour's first term.

'Inevitable'

Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith said: "Keith Hellawell's decision to
resign is a personal blow for the prime minister and punches a huge hole in
the Government's drugs policies."

But Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Simon Hughes, whose party
favours cannabis legalisation, said Mr Hellawell's resignation was
"inevitable".

"He had become marginalised and was perceived as being increasingly out of
touch," he said.

Labour former sport minister Kate Hoey warned that the government could
come to regret any move to reclassify cannabis.

Addicts

Mr Blunkett will tell MPs of his support for the reclassification of
cannabis later on Wednesday, in response to a report by the Home Affairs
Select Committee.

The committee said drugs policy should focus on tackling the problems
caused by heroin addicts.

It also recommended moving ecstasy from class A to B, but Mr Blunkett is
expected to reject this.

The government signalled its intention to downgrade cannabis last October.
It comes despite a mixed reaction to a "softly, softly" approach to
cannabis trialed in London's Brixton.

Amid concern that the move might encourage drug taking, maximum sentences
for supplying class C drugs are likely to be increased for cannabis.
Member Comments
No member comments available...