Rave Radio: Offline (0/0)
Email: Password:
News (Media Awareness Project) - Australia: Libs Rule Out Heroin Injecting Trial
Title:Australia: Libs Rule Out Heroin Injecting Trial
Published On:1999-08-30
Source:Australian, The (Australia)
Fetched On:2008-09-05 21:56:18
LIBS RULE OUT HEROIN INJECTING TRIAL

THE Kennett Government has rejected safe heroin injecting rooms in
Victoria, paving the way for an increased election scare campaign over
Labor's policy to introduce five trial rooms.

The Government's decision not to follow NSW's lead and introduce an
injection trial was criticised by Labor leader Steve Bracks, who accused
Premier Jeff Kennett of risking lives for party gain.

"To save his own political skin rather than Victorian lives, he's now going
into character and using this as a scare campaign during the election," Mr
Bracks said.

"He wants to appear progressive on drugs but when it comes to solutions he
runs away."

Mr Kennett last month praised NSW Premier Bob Carr's decision to trial a
safe heroin injecting room, saying he was considering the reform for
Victoria, and raising the prospect of introducing legislation in the next
session of parliament.

But when Labor announced this month it would introduce five heroin
injecting rooms, Mr Kennett attacked the move as irresponsible.

Health Minister Rob Knowles yesterday announced the Government's opposition
to the measure, and Mr Kennett refused to comment.

Liberal candidates for the September 18 election have been distributing
leaflets warning of Labor's policy. One leaflet, distributed in the
marginal Labor electorate of Ivanhoe, is headed: "Drug shooting gallery in
a house near you?"

It warns: "Labor is set to target Ivanhoe . . . for a safe injecting
house." Several Liberal MPs told The Australian yesterday the leaflets were
a legitimate election tactic and would continue. Mr Bracks said Mr Kennett
would have to accept responsibility for running a scare campaign.

Instead of safe injecting rooms, Mr Knowles said the Government would
expand its pilot drug diversion program, which diverts users with no prior
drug convictions away from the courts and into compulsory counselling, and
establish four metropolitan heroin withdrawal accommodation centres for
young addicts.

Meanwhile the Liberal Party screened its next two television advertisements
last night, admitting it had paid actors to appear in the ads.

Mr Bracks mocked the use of paid actors, but conceded his party would be
outgunned in advertising finances. "We won't be able to match the Liberal
Party campaign advertising budget. But we will have a significant presence."

In other policy announcements over the weekend, Mr Kennett ruled out a
second casino and promised there would be no more poker machines for at
least 10 years.

Mr Bracks is to launch Labor's campaign in Ballarat, home to two of the
State's most marginal Liberal seats.
Member Comments
No member comments available...